Questions about New Earth Mandala
What are your core philosophies?
- Life is wholeness, nothing is separate. All apparent diversity arises from a single field, and is simply the joy of life exploring the creative possibilities of itself. As Jeff Foster puts it, “Oneness is all there is – and we are included.” This is sometimes called NonDualism, or Advaita Vedanta.
- Wonder, awe and gratitude are appropriate responses to life, in any age or stage or circumstance. Relearning innocence and forgiveness, making room for all beings, makes our own lives better, and heals all.
- When we have a direct, personal, felt experience of being one with everything, we’re experiencing the scientific principles of unification described by physics- that might be called “a spiritual experience”. There is no intervener, no mediator. We can learn to master dropping into this ever-present unified field for more frequent, direct experiences of freedom and peace.
- Spirituality isn’t an excuse for lack of psycho-emotional skill development. All humans might cultivate self-awareness, communication skills based on values and needs (NVC) and Emotional Agility (Resilience) – these are vital for the evolution of the human species. We practice and teach these things.
- The capacity for Self-Authorship (avatarism- be your own Avatar) is unique to this period of human historical development. Human potential is served by the individual’s sovereignty, their ability to break free from familial, cultural and historical norms and create their own authentic life. One person’s authenticity can shift the field of experience for millions.
- People are meant to live in community, not in isolation. The field between people has knowledge and intelligence that can be mined and used to solve problems, especially through practices (like ZEGG forum). Love relationships, economies and governance structures can thus be reimagined in a more just way, especially if comprised of individuals who are doing their own work.
- Resourcefulness, accountability and competence are integral to spiritual life. Awareness practice extends to the physical environment.
- Healing the body is healing the mind (see The Body Keeps the Score), fitness, strength, flexibility, agility, bravery in the body make for more vital living.
- Food is first medicine. We’re interested in new agriculture, the art and future of feeding people, for habitats and health, especially food forestry. (see Simon Jongenottir’s New Earth Cooking)
- The universe, and ecosystems, are governed by harmonics; music is the universal language of the emotions and the soul. Singing and making music together is just part of life. We just do it. (P.S. Math is the universal descriptor of physical manifest reality, but that’s another story)
- Harmful behavior to self and other is a mental illness, and should be treated that way. Restorative justice is the appropriate response in the event of transgression. (see Insight Out)
- We are committed to open evolution, questioning and refining the principles we’ve discovered so far. This is a placeholder for new findings and guidelines.
Questions about New Earth Hawai’i
1. What is the food situation?
If you’re using your own kitchen or kitchenette, there’s great grocery and restaurant options in Pahoa. We have a fresh high quality vegetarian kitchen, usually with vegan options, onsite. In the mornings we have tropical fruit, coffee and tea, and a yogurt, smoothie and juice bar. Lunches are on request. Dinner is communal, family style, and co-directed by program hosts. If a program host prefers to bring their own chef, or to have it prepared by Island Naturals, that’s absolutely an option.
2. What activities are available?
Onsite: Daily yoga, meditation, biking, gardens, artmaking.
In the immediate area: more biking, volcano tours, black sand beach for swimming, surfing (intermediate and above), great snorkeling, hiking/walking, ecstatic dance, dining and activities in Pahoa.
On the Island: Volcano tours, lava caves, waterfalls, tropical gardens, countless beautiful beaches… infinite places to explore on your own, with our team or with an outside tour group.
Every Wednesday: Uncle Robert’s Market (live Music, farmer’s marker, food tables, home made goods, dancing- a general party). Kirtan and potluck at Polestar Community.
Every Thursday (Inescapable): There is a jungle ecstatic dance next door to us, from 6 to 9 pm, complete with fire dancers and pillow lounge. Be prepared to join in.
Every Sunday: Hands down the best ecstatic dance outside of Ubud, Bali, 15 minutes away at Kalani on the Red Road. Followed by drum circles and all afternoon hangouts on the naked black sand beach at Kehena.
3. What’s the bug situation?
We have some mosquitoes during the dusk hours; if you’re sensitive, bring bug spray.
4. What’s the wifi and phone situation?
Verizon has good 3G coverage on the property. ATT not so much. We have satellite wifi on site.
6. What about intoxicants?
We believe in the appropriate ceremonial use of alcohol, plant medicines and the like. Sobriety in daily life is admired and appreciated. Waking up and numbing out don’t go well together.
7. How to I get to you from the airport at Hilo?
If you rent a car, it’s an easy drive past Pahoa to our hill. If you want a pick up or a taxi service, it has to be prearranged. There’s a flat fee of $40 per person for an airport run by our driver, and taxi service is negotiated with those providers individually.
8. What about power and water?
We’re on solar power, catchment and pumped water, and composting toilet systems. It’s a low impact environment. We have a back up generator for emergencies.
9. What if I need medical care?
Try not to need it! Bring your medicines and a portable first aid kit for hiking. We have an array of plant and herbal tinctures and treatments, which are available to you. There’s also a clinic in Pahoa, and a hospital in Hilo if it comes to that.
10. What about bodywork?
Puna boasts some of the best bodyworkers anywhere. Massage, Reiki, Acupuncture, Shiatsu… we have a great list of healers and providers that will come on site or you can go to them.